Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini


This book shocked me. I have heard many great things about Hosseini's other book, The Kite Runner, and even a few about A Thousand Splendid Suns, but never would I have thought that I would fall in love with this book the way I did. The two main characters, Mariam and Laila, are both so understanding and loving and try their hardest to get out of their tough situation in Afghanistan. Both were married young, both are bastards, and both were married to a man who abused them and wanted to kill them. Even now I'm thinking about naming my daughter Laila. These two women show how strong a woman can be in the face of danger and what it takes for a mother to protect her children.


Laila and Tariq, a couple almost like Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, were meant for each other from the time they were little kids running through the streets of Kabul. Not only that, but Hosseini does an amazing job describing Afghanistan culture that the poor little country that only passed my mind when I thought about the war truly has won a place in my heart. People need to read this book to realize that not all of Iraq and Afghanistan are on Osama bin Laden's side. Most of the people in this country are innocent and loving, only wanting to live in peace.


Hosseini truly has a great talent and the way he can surprise the reader with twists and turns that no one saw coming is absolutely amazing. He kept me on my toes throughout the whole entire book. Let's just say that someone who you think is dead turns out he never was... :)


Even for the non-readers of the world, if you can appreciate a good and heartfelt love story, you will definitely love this book as much as I did.

No comments: